Sunday, October 2, 2011

Speak Loud If You Want A Target On Your Back

I've been thinking about this a lot recently. Loving this city, but wishing there was an easier way to tiptoe around the whole politics conversation. Those who know me might read that and be confused - Yes, I love me some politics, but not after 5:30pm. The main reason for this development as I have so unfortunately found out - I end up with a target on my back. I'm as independent as you can get. I fall 50/50 on the spectrum of issues out there, and it's hard to find people of the same persuasion or cool people that understand politics is subjective to the individual and that there are no real right or wrong sides to an issue.

My bookshelf reads that I am utterly confused on my politics, religion, and philosophy - and maybe I am, maybe I'm just afraid of being wrong, but I'd rather be a skeptic than a self ordained know-it-all (like most of the people I meet on a daily basis). It astounds me this disconnect between confidence and genuine wisdom. When I meet someone who is open to new ideas I want to just give them a hug right there in the middle of the restaurant or bar that I met them at. As I've only been a resident in the District for the past 5 months I know there's a whole new world out in this city I've yet to discover. Until then, I'm going to direct my attention to the specimen I have had the pleasure of observing over the Summer.

As of present I've been exposed to a bread of liberty lovers. The hipster libertarians, the right of center LGBT community, some old gen tea-partiers, social conservative cheerleaders that like to get loose on the weekends, the war crazed neocons, the 'traditionalists', Wall Street republicans, and the guys with a lot of guns that you don't want on their bad side. A lot of good people, a lot bad people too. The thing that gets me the most is how utterly, chaotically disorganized the entire bunch is - I mean ideologically speaking the sum of all the parts do not equal one. The problem with this picture is not that there is fighting within the party - the elephant in the room (pardon the pun) is the disregard for new ideas verses the old.

Instead of a strengthening from within I see the over production of regurgitated ideas passed down like chow for the hungry ankle biters waiting for their chance to move up the ranks. I see this as a supply and demand problem for my generational counterparts. Why do they work 60+ hours a week for shitty pay? Because there happens to be a line around the block of people waiting to do that same job. Why are they dissatisfied with their job? Maybe it's because deep down they know they are cogs, and cogs are a dime a dozen.

It's not that they don't read or develop arguments - they just don't read anything they don't already agree with. No information sharing, no investigative research on the studies their bosses base their policies off of - literally it's a battle ground and unless you want to be typecast as a Benedict Arnold you better fall in line. There is no place for the individual in Washington, D.C. The irony of all ironies. Especially since the Republican party markets itself as the party for individual rights. I know so many smart people that seem perturbed at the slightest mention of me disagreeing with conservative propaganda. Oh shit, there's a G.D.I. in the room! Any time I mention women's rights, pro-peace measures, or free trade agreements I can see the bewilderment in their eyes as they frantically try to determine if I crashed their party by accident or if I'm apart of some elaborate candid camera production.

The typical response I get when asked who my favorite Republican Presidential nominee is, is met with laughter. Why? Because I tell them the ones I like won't make it through the primaries and the ones that will won't beat Obama. "Muwaha ha ha," goes the middle-aged balding man too cool to back up his degrading laughter with an actual rebuttal. And yet, stupid enough to think our lackluster exchanging of words was some sort of a connection. This isn't an episode of Mad Men folks - typically a lady will not swoon over your natural disposition to discount her opinion by offering to buy her a drink. "No thanks on the Miller Lite". (I drink liquor you pussy - try your moves on the Hill interns who think just because you're older you must be important.)

Be it as it may the number one lesson I have learned this Summer is that people are freakin scared out there. They don't take kindly to new ways of doing things, new markets, new technology that phases out familiar technology, and new people. It's kind of scary how divided this city is - because anyone with half a brain realizes that big changes have to be made in order to carry on into a prosperous future. And if you have the nerve to challenge the existing code you end up with a target on your back.

Not to say I hate it - it kind of amuses me now. I can't even get mad at it anymore since I am trying to slowly win the hearts and minds of people out there - just not particularly on a Saturday night when I'm trying to get sloshed. So to all you bright scholars and hard working Millennials out there - keep an open mind to the changing times, don't be so quick to judge new ideas, and for crying out loud don't talk work or politics at clubs on the weekends.

Peace, love, and revolution! 

No comments: