Monday, February 9, 2015

Quarter Life Crisis Part Duex ¯\_(ツ)_/¯


All of my friends are neutral on their jobs. If I could give 2015 a description I would say it's bland. Everyone I know, with the exception of my journalist friends, are just going along to get along at work.

By the way, I still think the journalists are feeling this too, but they would never admit it because I think they think its beneath the profession to say it out loud.

It seems everyone wants another job, but does not want to spend an ounce of effort to go about the process. I think Millennials have cracked. We just want to earn a pay check, build some wealth, and master an extracurricular activity. I personally am dedicated to getting back in shape. I take a Yoga, Pilates, or Barre class at least once a day. I am the single-urban equivalent of a stay at home mom. Yuck. Also, that was a humble brag.  I WORK OUT!

So what's the deal with all this whatever-ness? I will venture to guess that the cause of this indifference is due to the stalemate that has been Washington, DC since 2008. How much change can actually happen if your side doesn't control the White House? (Another point to my journalist friends)

Too often are Bush era staffers (*ahem* my boyfriend and crew) quick to forget that there is an entire "generation" of young politicos that have never experienced what it's like to own this town. We don't have public sector experience. We don't know what executive branch management looks like. We can't even name the suite of cabinet members. There is a minor league version of what use to be.

But don't think for one second we lack in talent what we so visibly show in campaign loses and bruised egos. We have been here 7 years scraping for little campaign or policy wins - our clients are super happy with us because our ad conversion rates are above average consistently. And we've got some Pollie Awards to prove we mean business. We bought our participation trophies, you can keep your White House credentials. Please tell me more about how I never saw George or Smithpoint in their glory.

There are only so many committees, advocacy groups, and firms one person can work for in this city before there is little to envy in terms of titles and connections. Why work on the Hill when you can bag an association paycheck? My resume reads like a Rachel Maddow hit list. Should I go work for a Republican Governor? Am I part of the 'Establishment' if my credit isn't? ... These are the thoughts that go through my head before I even get out of the shower in the morning.

My caveat: I love what I do.

If you're thinking, "WTF Sarah and your point is?" Shhhhh, I'm getting there.

At the end of one of my yoga classes last week my Yogi challenged us with this:
You are not what you do. You are not what you don't do. You are how you do it.
It's crazy for me to constantly be asking myself, "Am I making the big difference I sought out to when I moved to DC?"  Because, how can I objectively determine if I'm succeeding or failing if I'm looking at the short term?

I made the determination when I was in high school that I could have the greatest impact on the world around me if I devoted my life to politics and government. I could impact things on a macro-level. After-all elections change the leadership, the leadership changes the legislative and operational agenda, and those policies and decisions change peoples lives.

So what happens when you aren't excited about any of the candidates in the election? And when you lose faith in the leadership's ability to make the right call? And when the policies harm the way of life of those it affects? Or when the leadership misses the mark on what really matters to the people they represent, because lobbyists and special interest groups stand in the way of real progress? When everyone is so focused on the macro, that they miss the more important micro stories. The real people. The struggle.

When you're surrounded by prosperity and in a dog fight to climb up work and social ladders, it's easy to forget that a $50k salary anywhere else in the country would be a godsend--not an insult. That minimum wage for a full time employee is $15,080/year. And that the poverty level for a single person is $11,945; $22,283 for a family of four. Oh, and that our real purchasing power is about where it was in the early 1980s. We can do better. We have to do better.

If this pisses you off work harder. I don't care who you work for or what your role is, just be mad and channel that energy to change something for the good. You answer those front desk phone calls like a g--d--m boss and transfer them like your life depends on it. Place those ad buys like the sweet swish of game winning shot. Ghost write the hell out of that op-ed like you're the SOTU speech writer. And make those cold calls like you're auditioning for The Voice.

Just work hard and be patient. Things will fall into place soon. Your rut may just be your launching pad. Until that day, solidarity in perseverance. You don't owe it to anyone to show off. Do it for yourself. That's when you win. That is when you move up.



No comments: