Tuesday, August 18, 2015

The New Establishment

I started out this post with an idea that I should really write a series on being young and employed in politics. I stopped shortly after because I knew I only wanted to tell a negative story about my experiences dealing with terrible clients or coworkers. See even right there I wanted to say shitty coworkers. I couldn't not say that, because I'm so totally blown away by how preposterous business is done in DC sometimes.

It comes down to backbone and integrity. Do you have it?

When I meet someone in DC that is genuine I hold onto them with both hands. They simply cannot escape me. I will make you my friend and we will never leave each other's side. I half joke, but it is really hard to find people that are genuine insofar as I have my own criteria: Will this person tell me how they really feel? Does this person have a morale compass? Does this person seek out justice? Does this person strive for greatness? Is this person unapologetic about everything mentioned above? If the answer is yes, then congratulations: you are my new best friend!

I don't mean to say that DC is full of bad people. Not at all. It's just there are very few people I've had the pleasure of meeting or working with that are both blunt and charming and actually do their own work.

I've come to realize that you can't put a price tag on work ethic. One of my favorite things about working in politics in DC is that I'm surrounded by people who have a stake in the game and a desire to see their cause advanced. The thrill isn't monetary it's historic. We all have a chance to redirect the course of history. We have the privilege to shape generations to come.

I've just seen too many good people move up only to move right back down (in my mind only). Call it drunk with power or overwhelmed with excessive budgets. It's like the culling of operatives happens at the mid to senior managerial level–that's where good workers lose their freakin' minds and take their eyes off the prize. I know it's normal to try to position yourself for success and promotion, but it's a haunting experience to watch as decisions are made that hurt the overall objectives of an organization or movement and benefit the individual(s) making the decision.

Is this why people leave politics? I've wondered more than I'd like to tally.

I feel like such a jerk for all those times when I was 20 and so skeptical of the "losers" who couldn't stand the heat of politics. I believe at one time I referred to someone who left DC by quoting Queen lyrics, "Another one bites the dust." GOOD GOD if I could go back I would punch myself in the face. You're welcome America.

Ignoring my past shortcomings and focusing on my learned life lessons, let's move forward.

Take it from me, being blunt has only ever helped me getting new jobs. Politicos love jackasses. It just so happens when I'm looking for another job I have plenty of fire power fueling my flames. Why? Because employers love hiring passionate people. In theory they want to push their brand, mission, theories and experimentation... yea, so in actuality you would be shocked to find that doesn't necessary equate to success in the workplace. Internal politics and the soft cooing of agreement breeds promotion in this town.

Let me make it abundantly clear the problem is not the people, it is the process. Haters gonna hate. And I am a total hater but I play the long game.

Frustration with the system has stuck with me for years now. I've never worked for the government, so when I say 'system' I'm talking DC's auxiliary establishment. I have been plagued with thoughts of how I could change it to build a new way of doing business, a new way of rewarding truly innovative operatives, and christening the new establishment.

Feel me? Want to collaborate? Let's talk!

No comments: